John is a Somali Christian who has accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Saviour. He is persecuted for his faith and lives in danger of being killed. He is reaching out and sending these messages so that you can be encouraged in your faith, or accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.
For first time Readers of the Bible!!!
This is for the Somali christian converts out there, i know it can be confusing for you when you first get your hands on the holy book of the bible, you may wonder where you will start from, at first nothing makes sense, so here is a guide for you to help you read the holy book in away that makes sense to you:
1 – Its important to understand this:
- The Old Testament: Predicts Jesus, shows mankind’s failure in relationship to God without Jesus and sets stage for Jesus’ arrival.
- The New testament: discusses the teachings and the person of Jesus as well as events of first christians.
- The Gospels: meaning good news of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John tell the same story of Jesus life from four different perspectives.
- The next book of the acts of apostles tells selected events among the christians after Jesus’ death and resurrection.
- The rest of the books are letters of several early followers of Jesus explaining the significance of his life and death.
- The final book of the bible looks forward to and describes Jesus’ return to earth.
- The entire bible revolves around Jesus as Mankind’s access to god.
2 – Becoming christian doesn’t mean leaving your identity, culture, and country behind:
- Take the good part of what you learned in your previous life before you are born again as god fearing servant, for that it will help you understand a lot of things when you are reading the bible, perhaps you will get confused by the names and locations mentioned in the holy book, don’t worry, search for it online and you will find that you have heard it all before either from your parents or from the teaching of the school you went before converting.
- Do not compare, just refer to it to understand it better, in a language you know, for example: In the book of Job, we hear and read how the lord tests Job. At first the name Job must be new to you, however you will find that it’s not and it’s the same as “Ayub” which you heard previously.
3 – Take into account that not everything is according to the way you understand, sometimes you might find something you interpret according to your understanding and you might wonder why that happen in such way, well it’s not only you, often converts misunderstand the true meaning of the word of god for as we humans don’t have the mind to comprehend the wise words and the meaning behind it, search for more enlightenment when you find allegorical words.
4 – The bible is a spiritual book, you will need both your intelligence and open heart to absorb it all, and remember this: Christians don’t have a relationship with the bible but with the author of the bible.
5 – Create a schedule everyday where you read a chapter or two then hear it online through the YouVersion bible app in the App store and try to take down notes of how that applies to you and what you learned from it.
- You don’t have to do this but I personally recommend listening to the part you choose before you sleep in the bed and sometimes fall asleep to it, words directly will go to your heart, that’s my experience.
6 – For first time readers of the Bible I would recommend starting with the Luke, then
begin Psalms (a few each time you read several chapters in another book) and Proverbs (one chapter each time you read several chapters in another book);
(After reading the above, a person has a reasonable grasp of what the Bible is about.) hopefully a person will go on… Isaiah, Mark, However, Ecclesiastes, Hebrews, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, Ephesians, Job, Philippians, First and Second Samuel, the Gospel according to Matthew, Colossians, First and Second Kings, First and Second Corinthians, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Galatians, Song of Solomon, First and Second Thessalonians, Jeremiah, First and Second Timothy, Lamentations, Daniel, James, the rest of the New Testament, the rest of the Old Testament.
Lord, Please open up my mind to help me to understand the Bible. Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions. Give me understanding so that I can know you better. Please give me spiritual wisdom and insight so that I might grow in my knowledge of you. Give me discernment to help me understand what I read.